Monday, April 29, 2013

Green and Growing Things: An Update


As you can see in the above picture, my arugula is growing nicely. In fact, it's so dense that I have a hard time watering it. However, this is almost the only good news I have about my plants.

The other good news is that chives sprouted in my big pot of herbs earlier last week, and the basil is finally poking its head out, too. But that's it. No lavender, and no herbs of any kind in the smaller pots. So of course I planted an egg carton full of basil and chives, and then lots of little plastic pot sets with lavender. Because if I can't succeed the first time, maybe I can the second. I think the trouble the first time around was that I was terrified of over-watering them, and so they were consequently under-watered. (If that's even a word.) In any case, they were very dry. But when I started covering them with plastic and giving them a good drench now and then, the chives popped up. So who knows.

Chives! And basil! IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE! However, no lavender showing in the bottom right.
It's becoming clear that while I wasn't blessed with the same sort of green thumb as my Dad was, some things can thrive under my care. Like salad greens. And the spider plants I repotted - those have lots of new deep green growth on them! And it was my loving care that got them there. You know, or something.

Also, since we haven't figured out where we're living yet, I haven't gotten to plant anything outside except pansies, for my mother. They're very pretty, but I want to grow things that I can eat, you know?





1 comment:

  1. Dude, are you kidding!? You totally have a green thumb.
    Check that stuff out.
    I want you to know that I picked up an interest in gardening from dad too (who is a boss) and I can't even keep houseplants alive. I'm awful, and envy you.

    ReplyDelete